Saturday, February 8, 2020

More harp progress


Things are starting to take shape. Progress has been delayed because I have been improving the dust collector. This week I got the disk sander, router/shaper, belt sander, spindle sander, and thickness planer all connected. Next up is the table saw. I'm still cogitating on a reasonably easy and effective way to do that. But on to the harp!




There is short grain at both ends of the pillar which is an inherent weakness in the pillar - and the neck. When I built the Pemaquid harp I was able to find a branch on the tree with the right curve. That's not going to happen with milled lumber so I am reinforcing the neck and pillar with inset laminations. Here the channel has been cut on the inside. The rounded corners are to provide clearance for the slot cutter, The neck is three times the final inside width.




I cut some walnut laths to use for the laminations. Walnut doesn't like to bend so I have clamped it on a form to prebend it (I hope) I am doing this dry because I don't want to introduce any moisture into the instrument.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home